Sweet & Spicy Ribs
Created By: Pitmaster Tuffy Stone
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Serves: 2
- 2 cup your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 racks Smithfield St. Louis Style Ribs, membrane removed
- 1 handful hickory or apple wood chips for smoking, soaked in water and drained (optional)
- About 1 hour before smoking, make the dry rub. Combine all rub ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Generously coat both sides of ribs with rub. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Heat charcoal or gas grill for indirect cooking at 275oF. Add drained wood chips, if using.
- Place the ribs, meaty side up, over a drip pan and cook for 2 hours. Add about 12 coals to a charcoal grill every 45 minutes or so to maintain the heat.
- Remove ribs from grill. Double-wrap each rack in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Return wrapped ribs to the grill and cook for 2 hours more over indirect heat, until very tender. Add more coals as needed to maintain temperature for a charcoal grill.
- Remove ribs from grill and unwrap. Place ribs over direct heat on grill and brush with barbecue sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce is set. Turn ribs and repeat with more sauce.
- Serve ribs with remaining barbecue sauce.