Cactus Jack Texas Spareribs
Created By: Pitmaster Ernest Servantes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 24 hours stand time
- Cook Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Serves: 2 to 4
- 2 racks Smithfield® Pork Spareribs Cactus Jack Rub
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- ¼ cup cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Oak or Pecan wood for smoking
- 1 cup apple juice, in a spray bottle
- Rattle Snake BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup Kingsford® Original Smoked Hickory BBQ Sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup pepper-style soda
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- For Cactus Jack Rub, combine salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder and seasoned salt in small bowl; mix well. Season ribs on all sides; cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Heat smoker or grill for indirect cooking at 250°F.; add wood for smoking. Place ribs, meaty side up, and smoke for 2 1/2 hours, spraying with apple juice every 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for Rattle Snake BBQ Sauce, heat oil in heavy saucepan over high. Sauté onion, jalapeño and garlic until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients except salt and pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced in volume by 1/3. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove ribs from smoker; wrap each rack in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Return to smoker, meaty side down, for an additional 2 hours until internal temperature reaches 190°F to 200°F.
- Remove ribs from foil, place back on smoker and brush with Rattle Snake BBQ Sauce; cook for about 20 minutes. Serve with additional BBQ sauce on the side.